20 October 2008

Getting better all the time... Escape to the Midwest




I've been looking for a halfway decent excuse to start a blog and it looks like I finally scored one.  I am currently on my first ever Artist Residency and the timing couldn't be better.  After a marathon day of travel and a variety of frustrating hiccups along the way (jetblue didn't lose my luggage, just the contents of it - ?!?), I am now residing comfortably in central Illinois with an excess of two key elements that I've been starved of for all too long: 

SPACE and TIME.  




The residency is through Prairie Center of the Arts, which I would encourage any artist to apply for as the arrangements are top notch.  My living space is SICK with a huge and private bedroom, office space, bathroom, kitchen, living room, and patio.  Though there are two other residents in the building (an installation artist and a writer), they're both really cool and it's been extremely peaceful - despite warnings of nearby deer hunting (rather than prance around the woods alone in an orange coat looking for trouble, I think it's best I keep my urban ass out of harm's way).  I've also been provided with a CAR (whut!) so I can commute between my cozy crib and studio on my own schedule.  The studio space is in nearby Peoria, Illinois (which apparently is the second largest city in the state) within Tri-City Machine/Prairie Center's massive, historic facility. Today was my first day in my studio, which is larger than any of these photos could suggest.  I got everything set up and started work on two new paintings.  




The purpose of this blog is to document the work I create while on this highly unique retreat.  Though I am certainly tempted to speak on the various personal dramas which have plagued me all season, I will do my best to stay on topic.  To sum it up, some sober time alone to think and produce is exactly what the doctor ordered and I'm extremely grateful to have such an opportunity.  After pushing some paint this afternoon, I'm more amplified than ever.  Good stuff to come.    

GO PHILS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dude. WHAT? Sweet pad, sick studio, CAR?! Man, this is just what the doctor ordered, homes.

    P.S. You look creepy in that one shot. Stoppit.

    ReplyDelete