25 June 2009

Michael Jackson, R.I.P.

I'm definitely taking Michael Jackson's passing to heart. There is this impulse I think many are feeling to instantly to reflect back all of the negativity that has submerged his public perception for many years - or use this unfortunate event as a chance to bust out all the jacko jokes that were collecting dust on the shelf. And I will not make the argument that he hasn't played a leading role in much of the static he has attracted. No doubt. But I think most can agree that he was a tortured genius who gave all of himself to the music, broke new ground in everything he attempted, and uplifted, inspired, and blended countless art forms and cultures in the process. He wasn't the first brilliant mind to be a nutcase, he won't be the last - most creative geniuses teeter(ed) on the edge of insanity to some degree or another (not making excuses, just sayin'). For those truly inspired by any part of his vast catalog, we owe him a lot. His work is woven deep throughout my formative years. His classics can still light up a party today.

Now that he's passed on, I feel the need to separate and preserve my adoration of his creativity, dedication, and contribution - keeping those memories free and clear from any twisted scandal or otherwise bizarre behavior/appearance that has entertained us (in our own perverted way) and kept countless tabloids ("junk food" as I heard Michael say once in an interview) highly profitable. He's paid the price in many ways, one could definitely argue, and a lot about human beings can be learned from the peeks and valleys of his story. On a day like today, though, I can only dwell on the positive... so much positive. Much love, MJ. Your career will be celebrated for generations.

Quick back track.. As I was leaving the gym this afternoon, CNN had JUST reported that MJ was rushed to a hospital. At that moment, this song started bumpin' loud in my head. By the time I got home, showered, and flipped on NY1, he was dead.

REMEMBER THE TIME




Okay. Sorry to get heavy and off topic. Back to ME! God, blogging makes me feel like such a tool sometimes. :/


Painted a little this week, nothing major. Couldn't leave that ugly "Active Intellect 2" (from a couple posts back) alone. I think it's finally on its way to turning out halfway decent. Vegas nightclub scene, en route.




No comments:

Post a Comment