14 June 2009

"If there was a better way to go, then it would find me"

("extraordinary machine" by fiona apple)

So lately I haven't been painting with the frequency or intensity that I'd wish. Been overwhelmed with stressful uncertainly regarding grad school and life generally. Nothing new I suppose. BUT once I gave up on receiving a much needed break from the universe, I finally got one. I've been accepted in Brooklyn College's MFA program for the fall and I couldn't be more relieved or satisfied. Just in time.

At any rate, that was my excuse. Although it seems as though the usual me would have been out drinking and carrying on all saturday night celebrating the good news, I decided to lay low and push through the last few experiments I had in progress. I'll be in NYC all summer now (original plan was to live/study in Philly for the summer), the party's just beginning. Besides, I can make average pretentious abstract art as good as anyone out there. :) Here's where things were beginning of the night. Everything's acrylic except for the Obama, which is acrylic and oil.









Can't decide if any of these are "good" or will feel good in the retinas of anyone but me, but I'm glad I did it, even if it misses the mark. Still messing around a bit with the folklore symbols, exhausting some possibilities. Kinda nice to just get loose without much heavy intent, no stress. My favorite might be the cards, though the photo doesn't serve it proper. I'll post nice scans of the good ones next post.


"No Face Cards" - Acrylic and Playing Cards on Canvas


"Active Intellect 1" - Acrylic on Canvas


"Active Intellect 2" - Acrylic on Canvas


"Oil" - Acrylic on Canvas

Also have a representational piece en route. More progress coming soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment